In the last three years, almost 300,000 Singaporeans have immigrated to Australia to live, work, or study. Several types of visas are available for applicants with different requirements for qualifying. There are a variety of conditions that apply to each immigration programme.
While many types of visas are made available to applicants, certain requirements are required for those individuals to qualify. As part of the PR visa reform, the Australian government implemented a series of immigration systems to simplify the immigration process, screen applicants, and guarantee that those qualified get visas.
Requirements to migrate to Australia
Skilled immigration visa and Nominated/sponsored visa is the most common type and way to migrate to Australia. Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Sponsorship or Nomination from Territory or State in Australia is a must.
- You must have a minimum competent score in the IELTS test.
- Submit your Expression of Interest.
- 65 minimum points in a points-based immigration system.
- Medical certifications stating good health.
- No criminal record.
Moving to Australia for employment
If you wish to work in Australia, you must first check if your profession is on the Skilled Occupation List, this is the list of professions that have a talent shortage or are in high demand in Australia. You may determine whether your profession is in demand by looking at the following listings.
• Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
• Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (STSOL)
PR visa or Permanent Residency
Immigrants have the option of choosing one of the two migration streams:
- Skilled stream – Australia requires talented migrants who can contribute to the country’s economic development. With a greater level of education and a better chance of finding work, skilled migrants are great for the economy. Employee-sponsored migrants have a greater chance of achieving the intended objectives. There are three main visa categories under the Skilled Migration Program.
- Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) – Submit an Expression of Interest in this category via SkillSelect. You may do this activity either in or outside of Australia.
You should send an application only if you’ve been invited to do so.
• Have experience in a nominated profession on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List
• Have skills assessment report for that occupation from a recognised authority
• Submit an Expression of Interest
• Be under 45 years old
• Meet the general Skilled Migration basic criteria
• Pass the points exam with a score of at least 65
• Meet the health and character criteria
- Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190) – When nominated by an Australian state or territory, you qualify for this visa. It has the same privileges as Subclass 189. The application requirements are similar to that of a nominated occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.
- Skilled Work Regional Subclass 491 Visa – As a route to a PR visa, this visa has taken the role of the Subclass 489 Visa. This visa requires skilled professionals and their families to reside, work, and study for five years in specified regional regions. After three years, they will be eligible for a permanent residency visa. The qualifications are the same as for other Skilled Nomination schemes.
The initiative seeks to address skills shortages in the Australian labour market by connecting job openings to migrants with the necessary qualifications and experience.
Program for Business Innovation and Investment
The Australian business visa programme assists international entrepreneurs, top executives, and investors in establishing new or expanding existing companies in Australia. This may also be a means of obtaining permanent residence.
Distinguished Talent Visa
The Distinguished Talent visa is for those who have made a significant contribution to their career, the arts or sports, or research or academic areas. The visa is divided into two subclasses: onshore Subclass 858 and offshore Subclass 124.
If a close relative is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may move to Australia through the family stream. Spouses/partners, dependant children, parents of citizens and permanent residents of Australia are given priority in the family stream. It also allows other family members, such as elderly and dependent relatives, caregivers, and others, to relocate to Australia to live with their families. It is important to note here that the family member must reside in regional area.
You can connect with Australian immigration consultants in Singapore to help you select the appropriate stream that will allow you to move from Singapore to Australia in 2021. Yash Immigration is a reliable Singapore immigration agency that can help migrate to Australia. Connect with us to know more!